Dr. Schoemaker has received the following awards and grants for his academic work:
- American Assembly for Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB): Annual Western Electric Fund Award for Innovative Undergraduate Education, with H. Kunreuther and P. Kleindorfer (June, 1980).
- S. S. Huebner Foundation for Insurance Education, University of Pennsylvania: Research grant to study “The Effect of Problem Context on Risk-Taking Attitudes” (1981). Dr. Schoemaker was Principal Investigator of this research program.
- National Science Foundation, Decision and Management Program: Grant to study “Context Effects and Risk Taking” (1984-1987).Dr. Schoemaker was Principal Investigator of this research program.
- SEI Center for Advanced Studies in Management, The Wharton School: Seedfunding to study “Determinants of Successful Corporate Visions” (1990). Dr. Schoemaker was acting as Project Leader for this research program.
- Strategic Management Journal – Best Paper Award: Paul J. H. Schoemaker was the winner of the eighth Strategic Management Journal “Best Paper” award for his paper with Raffi Amit: “Organizational Assets and Economic Rent” (Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 14, No. 1, Jan. 1993). The award announcement was made at the Strategic Management Society’s annual meeting in Vancouver (Canada) on October 14, 2000, celebrated with a luncheon, and recognized with a monetary prize of $5,000 to the authors.The Strategic Management Society and John Wiley & Sons co-sponsor this prize, which “recognizes Raphael Amit and Paul J. H. Schoemaker for their outstanding contributions to the development of the strategic management field.” The prize is awarded annually for a paper that was published in the Strategic Management Journal at least 5 years ago and which has been judged as most influential in Strategic Management thinking. The award is voted on by leading academics serving on the advisory board of the Strategic Management Journal, the leading research publication in the field.
- Member of ISI’s list of Highly Cited Researchers in Economics and Business: As based on academic citations in leading journals globally over a decade or more, Schoemaker became a member of this prestigious list of the top 200 scholars worldwide of which there are less than 0.4% out of the 50,000+ published researchers in this category.
- Elected to “Fellow of the World Innovation Foundation:
The World Innovation Foundation is an organization founded by Nobel Laureates to give global policy and humanitarian advice pro-bono to peace-loving nations around the world (see www.thewif.org.uk).
- Speaker at the 2004 World Business Forum:
Teamed-up with former President Bill Clinton, Gov. Rudolph Giuliani, and Jack Welch in HSM, World Business Forum, Buenos Aires, Argentina (May 2004) to speak on “Scenario Planning and Strategic Decision Making.”